Vice President, Dr Bharrat Jagdeo today urged citizens to desist from sharing a graphic video that has been circulating, showing the killing of 27-year-old Kenesha Vaughn.
At his press conference, Dr Jagdeo stated that while he has not seen the video, he was told that it is very “gruesome and brutal.” To this end, he urged citizens to have empathy for the victim’s family and to desist from disseminating the videos any further.
The Vice President said, “Just imagine the victims were members of your family how you would feel if you see this being circulated widely.”
“You can stop by not sharing it, you can stop it by not be disseminated by not sharing it…why would you share these gruesome videos especially of persons being subjected to violence,” he noted.
Between Saturday February 22, and Sunday February 23, Vaughn was shot and killed at her Lot 1179 Section ‘A’ Block ‘X’ Diamond Housing Scheme, East Bank Demerara, residence. Her husband, 32-year-old businessman, Marlon DaSilva was charged for fatally shooting her.
Notably, the couple had been together for several years and have a three-year-old son together.
The police had reported that DaSilva is a licensed firearm holder (licensed to carry a CZ semi-automatic pistol), which carries a magazine of fifteen 9MM rounds. On the night of February 22, DaSilva was at a popular bar in Georgetown imbibing when Vaughn reportedly called him to come home.
When he arrived home, there was an argument between the couple. The police had stated that during the argument, Vaughn armed herself with a knife and approached the suspect, who then pulled out his firearm from his front pants waist and discharged several rounds in the victim’s direction hitting her about the body. Vaughn died while receiving treatment at the Diamond Hospital.
It was reported that a breathalyzer test was done on the suspect, and the results showed that his alcohol content was 83%, when the legally prescribed limit is 35%. Also, four-9MM cases and three suspected projectiles were recovered from the scene.